5.19.2005

Pinoys on Ice?

The World Ice Hockey 5's Championships were held last week in a popular mall here in Malaysia. My wife and I chanced upon knowing this during one of our 'dates' to the mall that included a route to Genki Sushi, Baskin & Robbins, and then off to the weekly groceries.

Seeing the Philippine-flag at the backdrop of the ice-rink made me think that there might be a possibility that there were Pinoys in this tourney. Have all the endless nights firing hockey pucks at SM Megamall paid off?

I remember that ice-skating rink in SM Megamall with fond memories. That of my butt hitting the ice-cold floor. Ah yes....my first and LAST attempt at ice-skating.

I guess it did pay off. Simply called "Manila," there was indeed a Philippine contingent. They were comprised of young teens (I guess mostly from well-off families) with hockey-gear in tow. We managed to come across these guys after their 7-0 win against Malaysia under the Pee-Wee division. They said they were looking for sponsors going to this tourney but due to the sad state of Philippine sports, the economy, and rich selfish bastards, they had to come up with the expenses out of their own pockets.

The Pee-Wee team managed to reach the finals last Saturday. All the hard work paid off when the buzzer sounded with a pulsating 11-2 trashing of Singapore.

I wish good teams like these represent our country. It's just sad that they don't get much exposure due to lack of financial support. Hopefully team "Manila" gets the sponsors that they need to join such tournaments in the future.

As for me, I'll stick to the ground and not the ice, thank you.

No comments: