7.19.2005

Out of Duvet and into Vista


Most people would rather be certain they're miserable than risk being happy.
--Robert Anthony

I grew up reading self-help books. Not that I needed one, but my Mom's a Values-Ed & Psychology professor so the shelves were abound with Covey, Canfield&Hansen, Mandino, Buscalgia, and Albom, to name a few. Even to this day I'd rather buy a self-help book, not like the missus who'd prefer romance and thriller novels like that of Patterson, Roberts, Hannah, and the ever-popular Sheldon.

[Just a side-note: though I'm "illiterate" in terms of fiction novels, I introduced her to Patterson as a gift I decided to buy when we were dating. My reasons for buying was that (1) it had a fancy front cover, (2) the acronyms FBI and CIA were mentioned on the back cover, which she mentioned she liked to read about, and (3) it had the phrase "#1 on the NY Times Best-seller List" on the cover].

Over the course of reading these self-help books, it made me wonder if true happiness and peace can be really achieved in one's lifetime. Although the theories and advices that the authors came up with seem feasible, they might often be construed as oftentimes eccentric, unpopular, or weird. After a fresh read, yes, I may be able to live out some of them but what I've learned seem to attenuate over time. There is a need to have living reminders that let you stop and say, "Hey wait a minute! What am I doing with my life?"

Enter A.S.

A.S. is a Punjab who's settled quite comfortably here. I learned from him that the reason why Punjabs wear turbans is to cover their hair. Their hair, it seems, has never been cut since birth (much like the daughter of those over-protective parents that decided to put her in a tower; away from the testosterone-overloaded princes who'd do anything to "get" her).

Working in different sections but in the same department as mine, we'd often pass each other in the corridors and he never fails to greet a friendly hello and a smile. I remember having only one chat with him. It was that time when I still didn't have a car and I rode with him on the way home after a department-brainstorming event. He talked about how he has enjoyed living in this country, how life has been generous to him, and how he never forgets to thank his Creator everyday by stopping by a Hindu Temple on the way home. He had basically found happiness and peace.

I received an email from him 2 weeks ago. It had the subject "Out of Duvet and into Vista." In the dictionary, Duvet means "comforter" while Vista meant "prospect." The email message, as below:

"People, It has been a wonderful journey ....I have developed and learnt so much from this organization. The world out there is waiting for me with open arms and I just could not resist the hug. I believe this is due to the vivacious mindset that led the incitement in me to vivify myself on the principle that change is required for growth. Today is my last day....my sincere thanks to all of you who have supported me in many ways."

It turned out to be a farewell email ---the best farewell email that I've read in my life. From his choice of words I couldn't help but be envious of what he has found, whatever it may be. A.S., as I've learned recently, did not resign in lieu of another company. The reasons are yet unknown but I have a feeling it involves being spiritually happy. Whatever it is, I wish him all the best.

No comments: