8.18.2005

Absolute Reality

Since the creation of Survivor there has been a steady flow of reality-shows on TV. The missus, in particular, is an avid fan of The Amazing Race, American Idol, and recently, Rockstar INXS.


I've heard of the bandname INXS before but I'm not really familiar with their songs. Is it right to say that they were of the same era sa Duran-Duran and Spandau-Ballet? Kita mo na di ko sila kilala. Not until their TV-commercial had "New Sensation" playing on the background that's when I said, "Ahhh INXS pala ya-un!"

It's a good 3-fold gimmick for the band, actually. First and foremost, money. I believe they have a share in the profit from the worldwide text-voting. Secondly, recognition. People get to be familiar with the band's members and songs. Lastly, they get to pick their new vocalist voted by the majority of the tv-audience. This means more band following since most have become "attached" to these contestants.

Take the missus, for example.

The missus has all her chips on Mig Ayesa, a Filipino who migrated to Australia (as many other Filipinos would do if you see the politics going on there, but that's another issue). For once, a Filipino has a good chance of winning it. He's good, actually. But I think it will be a battle royale between him and Marty Casey in the end.

I can imagine the missus will be totally disheartened if Mig loses. I can recall the time Bo Bice lost to Carrie in American Idol 4. She could totally not believe it (among other die-hard Bo Bice fans). She never drifted from the issue for a couple of weeks ---actually, she's still disappointed by it until now. The only way Bo could ask for her forgiveness is for AI to hold an Asian Tour which I expect the missus will be insisting that we watch. I can already hear her, "It is a matter of life and death that I should watch Bo live!" Translation: It'll be my death if we don't watch it. Hehe.

Yes the missus is a die-hard Bo fan. May I say that she has even MEMORIZED Bo's every move from the songs he performed on the AI show (I was *forced* to download the video-files from the 'net). I can remember the time I grabbed my acoustic guitar and started playing some tunes from our 1000 songs songhits (Yes, 1000. Only in the Philippines). Anyway, I came across "Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me" which was sung by Bo during one of the AI episodes. As I sung the first line ("I can't light..."), I can swear that she blushed! "Kung maka-blush ka akala mo ex-bf mo si Bo ah!" I retorted. We were both laughing at the incident.

My friend BN had already watched the show with his wife in Dallas. She too is a Bo fan so much so that she deleted ALL OTHER pics (which may have included their vacation pics) in her digicam just so she can accomodate all of Bo's pics in the digicam's memory card. Married life....ah yes.

Except for Fantasia Barrino, the missus has so far had a string of losses with regards to her favorites on these types of shows. The Twins and The Clowns lost in Amazing Race, and Bo Bice lost in AI. I can imagine the "disaster" she'd feel if Mig doesn't win, and I'd surely be hearing about her loss over and over like that time with Bo.

Oh well, life is often unfair.

No comments: