9.08.2005

Da Vinci Code (Fin!)

After almost a month, I've finally finished reading Dan Brown's The Da Vinci Code. This is only the 2nd fiction-novel that I have read from cover to cover in my entire life, so imagine the amazement I'm feeling right now. Yeah, I should've paid more attention to my Reading-Comprehension classes when I was in elementary. But heck, recess and lunch-break were more important matters at the time. Well the only advantage of that is until now I still have perfect 20/20 vision. Di kase nagagamit ng madalas. Hehe.

Finally I get to experience what you book-worms feel when you see a film based on a book. Btw, I've read somewhere that Tom Hanks will play the lead-character in the movie-version so that's a big plus already. I now get a chance to utter "Ay mas maganda yung libro kesa sa film-version."

Dan Brown's story-telling is remarkably impeccable. I have to admit that what drew me to reading this book was "What the hell is all this hype/controversy about?" I was lucky to have borrowed a copy from my sister who's classmate has forgotten to claim it back from her (btw, as a side-note, that classmate of hers had a verrrry 'shitty-episode' in our car, but THAT's another story
).

His method of presenting accurate facts and inserting questionable fiction may draw the unwary reader into believing/protesting on what he has written, but of course, that's all for the reader to decide. It's just Brown's way of "spicing up" the plot, to get the readers hooked.

Bottomline, I don't believe in Dan Brown's concoctions (it's just FICTION my friend, so stop squabbling that your "decisions may be unconsciously influenced by it." That, I believe, is a lot of bullsh*t). But the STORY per se, was appealing. It was like watching HBO and Discovery Channel at the same time. Unputdownable, if there ever is a word.

Btw, here's the movie-trailer and the list of actors portraying the roles in the novel. It opens in the US on May-19, 2006.

Yeah, I know. It's gonna be a long wait.

2 comments:

breesmom said...

They chose Tom Hanks because he can perform very well the act of "thinking." The camera can pretty much read what he is thinking.

daytripper1021 said...

I think Harrison Ford would also fit the role, but since he is already known as "Jack Ryan" in the Tom Clancy novels, hollywood needed to choose another actor.

---the missus