9.20.2005

Vacation's Over


(For those of you who read my blog entitled Who's The Boss?, there is another side to my discussion with the HOD that I deemed appropriate of writing on a separate post. So here it is.)

I've always trusted my instincts. When my 1st contract here was expiring last 2003, I had a funny feeling that I'll get renewed. The missus, still my gf back then, didn't believe my vibe coz she said why would I get renewed when in fact I was doing ABSOLUTELY NOTHING 95% of the time? Of course my instincts were correct. I got renewed for another year (and a salary-increase for all that "work").

Late 2004 my contract was near expiry again ---and again my "sixth sense" told me I was getting renewed. I signed another contract until Jan.10, 2005.

Prior to my discussion with the HOD, I tried to feel what my instincts would say about the prospect of getting another year's contract. Unlike my last two vibes, I felt that I was not going to get renewed at all. By this contract's end I'll be 3 years here. Most of the expats have stayed for 3 years or less. I don't know if it was an HR-rule, but I just trusted my guts and conditioned myself that I'd better start looking for other prospects.

So last Thursday, after the HOD discussed my new role, he came to the subject of my contract. I was ready to face the music since I had a similar discussion with him last year (He was particularly keen on asking if I have tried applying somewhere else since HE felt that I might not get renewed. To his surprise, and mine, I would stay for another year). I knew that if he ever discussed my contract again, he would go about the same line.

So here's the decision: I'm getting renewed for another contract....

Hold it! Hold it! I'm not yet finished!

I'm getting renewed for another contract BUT until early-April 2006 only. He was kind enough to fight the matter over higher-management to renew me for another year but 6-months is the longest that they could give. 6-months FROM NOW, that is. Thus April 10, 2006 will be my last working day here. That is, of course, if there won't be any change of plans by the management. Who knows, I might be outta here as early as January?

As I was driving back that day after that conversation, I just started memorizing everything to every minute detail: the houses with the red roofs, the freshly-paved roads, the Proton and Perodua local-cars, the mall that we regularly go to, the Chinese take-out shop that I regularly buy my dinner, and the people going about their business. All were unaware that I'll be leaving soon. I've said to myself, "Mamimiss ko talagang lahat ng 'to."

*sigh*

So my Malaysian-adventure will be ending soon. I have enjoyed living in this country for the past 33 months so another 6 months will be a bonus. I will definitely miss the diverse culture, the food (damn! the food!), the sights, the pirated-DVDs, the popularity of football, and of course, the people. There's nothing left to do but strain my eyes out and suck up all the beauty that Malaysia has to give. As the missus and I have discussed, we'll just look back fondly on our stay in this wonderful country on how we enjoyed this vacation away from the Philippines.

Yes, we're looking at this as just a vacation. A very long one. When I first took this contract I told myself that I will just stay here for ONE YEAR and that's that. Who would've thought that I'd still be here until now? It may have been due to the fact that I've grown to like it here. Add to that the undeniable fact that I'll be earning in 3 years the amount that it would take me in 3 LIGHT-YEARS in the Philippines.

Frankly, I've never lived so comfortably in my entire life. But living permanently in another country is such a foreign thought to me. Iba pa rin kase sa Pilipinas. Like my friend BN, I want to settle in the Philippines for good (after saving money from job-contracts, of course). Like any other vacation, I will always have that need to go back home. Back to the real world where family, friends, and tapsilog await.

But until April comes, I would have to consult my instincts again. My Mom, the eternal optimist, once said: "Naku sana naman ma-assign naman kayo sa ibang bansa para naman may bago akong pupuntahan." How's that for motivation? You can't help but love her for that.

Maybe my Mom's predictions will come true. By some weird work up in the heavens, I might be going off on another "vacation" by then. (wink wink)

No comments: