6.14.2005

Impulse Buying

Me and the missus were in the mall last Saturday to catch "The Interpreter" at 9PM. Since we had 30-minutes to waste we decided to go to my favorite shops ---Adidas and Nike--- to salivate on the latest basketball and football shoes that they've released.

As we entered the Nike shop, my feet took me to the usual racks of new shoes that came out. D*mn those Air Jordan XVIII .5's have gone down to RM399! Too bad I still have my reliable Ultraposites so no need to buy a new one yet. My wife calls my ultras "Batman Shoes" since they're all black and the laces are hidden by a zipper. Cool huh? Never mind if I lose the game, as long as I look good in my shoes, hehe.

Anyway the missus (I feel so cool when I write "missus" instead of "wife," I got it from a funny writer named Neil Humphreys who wrote 2 books on his life in Singapore ---another must read if you get a chance), was looking at the Nike-watches, wondering when we'll replace our his&hers Petaling-street Nike-fakes. It cost RM10 each so it was a good buy (until we saw the same "replicas" in Greenhills for half the price...arrggghhh!). The missus is really not into fake stuff but it seemed reasonable since we were still on "budget-mode" at the time.

So I glanced over, took a quick look at the watches and I said, "Let's buy that pair." Men really don't have the time to take time going through every detail when shopping. It's either welike it or we don't. If you may have noticed, the men's section is usually near the entrace of the store or mall. Too bad there aren't any drive-thru malls...yet. :D

I don't know what came over me. I just had this feeling that if we don't buy them someone else will (they were the last good-looking his&hers watches on that store). Except for the Fossil watches we bought last year, I'm really not an impulse buyer (a good example is my jogging shoes which I have 2 witnesses to confirm that it took me several rounds of window-shopping [on 3 different malls!] before I got one). But I've had lots of problems with the Petaling-watch. That's what you get for buying faked goods (except DVDs of course, but that's another story).

She was all smiles when we got it. Finally a REAL his&hers Nike-watch! Too bad it didn't have a heart-rate monitor, I would have loved it more, hehe.

We had to run to the other end of the mall since the movie had just started. We got worried when we entered the cinema coz we didn't see Nicole on the screen. Ahhhh it was just the intro. We can catch the story from here. :)


No comments: