7.27.2005

Business


Until last year I've no interest when it comes to reading the Business Section or watching the Business News on TV. It's just that I was never directly affected by it that I never seemed to care.

It was only last year when I started to take notice. During one lazy day here at the office, I somehow got to the Philippine Stock Exchange website (don't ask me how). I noticed that there was a "Game" icon and of course, you know me, I like online games (I've put up 2 online Formula-1 leagues for my officemates and ex-officemates to play in).

Anyway the game was actually to test one's skills on trading stocks. You'll be given 1 million pesos as your "game-money" and you can either join an existing league or just play as if you were trading real money. I've invested in PLDT stocks and so far I've earned 50 thousand pesos from buying and selling. Too bad it's only play money. I could've bought an original Gibson electric guitar with it, to the missus' disapproval. Hehe.

Since then I've tried to keep myself up-to-date on the Business News, particularly those that affect the exchange rates (Philippine Peso, Malaysian Ringgit, and US Dollar). I guess the interest is now there because I'm directly affected by it (remittance, time deposit, etc).

It's funny really. 15 years ago I would never have thought to be engrossed in Business News. Back then I would just scour for the Comics Section of the Manila Bulletin everyday. THAT was my daily news. Cesar Asar, Blondie, Pupung, and Baltic and Co.

Ahhh yes life was so simple back then.

No comments: