7.23.2005

Walkathon

Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.
--Redd Foxx

The missus and I have discovered a new exercise routine: walking. We've been walking around the condo's inner ring (estimated to be 300m) for the past two evenings at about 40-50mins. According to a website, walking 3.2kms 3x a week can help reduce weight by 1lb every 3 weeks. So if I'm 35lbs overweight (according to the BMI table), it'll take me approximately.........33 weeks....or 8 months of walking to lose all of it.

8 months.

8 months????

DEHHHHMN!

That long??? Oh crap.

I remember when I was in college. I was a skinny 120-pounder who'd go to the gym trying to add on weight. I would eat 2 cups of rice for lunch and Wendy's for dinner but I'd still weigh the same. The missus saw my college pics and to put it kindly, nadirian sya sa itsura ko. She said I would never be her boyfriend if she met me at that "USA For Africa" condition.

I think the pounds started coming when I learned how to drive. The ease of moving from one place to another may have accumulated the calories since I ate the same amount but walked less.

Ten years and 56lbs later, I'm trying to lose 'em.

I do exercise, mind you. It's just a lack of consistency (the only regular exercise I do is badminton once a week and that's just for 1.5 hours).

Add to that a whole lot of eating. "Buffet" is my favorite word nowadays. Yeah I guess I would have to cut down on food too.

We did the South Beach Diet last year and I lost 8lbs in 2 weeks. The SB-Diet was Alan G's influence. He's a college-buddy who works in Singapore who visited us last November. D*MN he lost weight....and a whole lot of it. But something really looked weird. I think the SB-Diet left his head at the same size so he looked more like a matchstick....with a pea at the end. Yeah really weird. My friend who's taking up medicine says cutting down on the carbs is not healthy. So scrap the SB diet. I think I'll just lessen the rice on my meals. And besides, I packed in more weight after the SB-Diet since it was followed by the Holidays (mmmm.....hamon).

Well tonight the missus says that we should go malling to buy pasalubong for our trip home next month so walking is out for tonight (yahoo!). Hopefully I can convince her to eat at Hartz for dinner. Hartz, in case you don't know, is actually short for Hartz Chicken Buffet (double yahoo!).

No comments: